Sunday, April 8, 2012

Once Upon a Time

I'm always interested in seeing what got people started.  I wonder what their first find was that sparked a thrifting or antiquing obsession passion.  I wonder if it developed quickly as a compassion to continue or was a slow progression over time.  I wonder if they saw it spawning to this magnitude from the very beginning. 

For me, it all began with Halloween noisemakers.  I found them at a yard sale over two years ago; a group of three were sitting together amongst the other items on the table.  Always a conservative spender, my step-mother was shocked into oblivion when I coughed up the $15 for the set.  I wasn't sure why I felt so compelled to take a chance on them that day, all I knew was that I had never seen anything like them before.  When I got home, I started researching.  I looked up the companies, the designs, the time period they were made in...I looked up everything I could think too.  When I finally turned my sights to eBay to determine whether I had flushed my $15 down the toilet, I was shocked and pleased at what I found.  Bottom line, they were definitely worth it and definitely not overly common.

From there it just kind of spiraled.  Soon I was looking for noisemakers, Halloween memorabilia, post cards, old books, vintage kitchen items, cookbooks, and more.  Pyrex eventually topped the list starting with a medium woodland refrigerator dish.  Now it's something of an addiction.  

My Noisemakers - including the three Halloween which started it all
Hopefully I'll get an opportunity to work on some new projects soon.  I've got a pillowcase and a table calling out for some love.     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for any comments or feedback! I adore hearing from the people who take the time to read my overly excited - sometimes scatter brained - posts.

- Cal :)